Aeration is one of the best things you can do for your lawn
Over a period of time, soil becomes compacted by foot traffic, mowing, roots and rain. Also, dead roots and grass clippings can create a compact thatch buildup. Aeration punches holes through the thatch and loosens the soil to allow for the following benefits:
- Relieves soil compaction
- Increases air, water and vital nutrient movement to the root zone
- Speeds up decomposition of thatch
- Improved drainage increases effectiveness of fertilizers and lawn care products
Benefits of Core Aeration and Overseeding:
- Aeration reduces soil compaction. Just as you wouldn't try to plant a flower in concrete… a rock hard soil bed is not conducive to a great lawn either! Loose soil allows grass roots to plunge deeper into the soil to find vital water resources in times of stress.
- Aeration reduces thatch. Thatch is made up of grass stems and roots that accumulate faster than they breakdown. Excessive thatch creates an environment that is favorable to pests and disease.
- Aeration allows access to the root zone. By penetrating the soil, you're allowing moisture, air, & food to the root zone where nutrients are absorbed.
- Aeration and seeding enhances seed germination. Seeds germinate easily in aerator holes as the holes provide them a place to hide.
- Overseeding introduces new grass seed to fill in bare or thin areas as well as thickening existing turf. Over time, grass plants reach their peak and need to be replaced. Different factors contribute to the breakdown of the grass including foot traffic, heat, lack of water, environmental conditions, pet waste, etc.
- Overseeding builds resistance to disease. By incorporating different blends of grass seed you reduce your risk to diseases that can wipe out the entire lawn as well as introduce new, stronger types of grass.
- Aeration and overseeding will help to reduce weeds. Opportunistic weeds germinate in areas where they can be successful. Crabgrass grows in thin areas, nutsedge pops up in thin/low spots, and broadleaf weeds spread where there is little desirable grass. The best defense is to have a thick established lawn.
- Aeration and overseeding will immediately improve your lawn's current appearance. A good cultural practice is to aerate and over seed every year. This will help keep your lawn thick and healthy. You should see germination as soon as 7-14 days.
Aeration not only opens up the ground, but also allows grass plants to breathe, makes better use of fertilizer, air and water, while promoting a deeper, healthier root system.
We recommend this service to be done about once a year to maintain a healthy lawn.
Need a healthier lawn? Of course you do.
Simply fill out the form below and one of our certified lawn professionals will contact you.
Here are a few of our other professional landscape services.
Yard Clean Up
Got leaves? Let us clean them up for you in preparation for the next season.
Landscape Maintenance Program
Consistently maintain a healthy, manicured look for your landscape areas.
Edging and Mulching
Manicured edges and fresh mulch at the right depth keep your planting beds healthy.
30+ Years In Service
Providing design, installation, and full service landscape maintenance.
For peace of mind we are covered to service all properties - commercial and residential.
No job is complete until it is done to your satisfaction AND ours. We guarantee it!
Address1986 Bennett Road
Victor, NY 14564